The Virology Associate will be involved in the growth of both adherent and suspension cells, the creation of cell and virus banks, virus expansion and cultivation, and the use and development of assays to titer and identify virus and monitor expression of gene of interest with moderate supervision.
- Grow cells and virus following client specifications, adapt and troubleshoot as necessary.
- Develop methods to support virus quantitation for release testing, in process testing, and characterization.
- Analyze viral products following established protocols, design new protocols, and execute protocols.
- Adapt, develop, and/or follow SOP’s and summarize results.
- Maintain instrumentation and data.
- Interface with vendors and clients.
- Maintain detailed laboratory notebooks.
- Perform all other duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Abilities:
- BSL-2 experience
- Experience in aseptic cell culture with both suspension and adherent cell lines.
- Experience handling multiple virus families and/or multiple viral vectors.
- Experience tittering viruses using multiple methods including TCID50, Plaque assays, and FACS assays.
- Experience performing assays including Flow cytometry, SDS-Page, Western blot, PCR/qPCR, and ELISA.
- Must be detailed orientated and accurate.
- Ability to multitask and prioritize work assignments with minimal daily supervision.
- Knowledge and experience with Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Must have strong planning, organizational, and time management skills; good verbal and written communication skills; and be willing and able to interface with colleagues in many different roles and functions throughout the organization.
Working Conditions & Physical Requirements:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to:
- Experience prolonged standing, some bending, stooping, pushing, pulling, reaching above shoulders and stretching.
- Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity sufficient to operate manual pipettes and other analytical equipment as well as other laboratory and office equipment.
- Attendance is mandatory.
- Ph.D. in Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or other related field; or
- Master’s Degree preferably in Biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or other related field, with 1 year of relevant analytical lab experience; OR
- Bachelor’s Degree preferably in biology, Biotechnology, Biochemistry, or other related field, with 2 years of relevant analytical lab experience.
- Experience in pharmaceutical or biotechnology industry.
We are an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, national origin, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state or local law.
If an accommodation to the application process is needed, please e-mail FDBTHR@fujifilm.com or call 979-431-3528.