FUJIFILM Diosynth Biotechnologies U.S.A., Inc. is seeking an Automation Engineer II. The successful candidate is recognized as an early to mid-level experienced automation engineer within FDBU Engineering. The position will deliver day to day operations support as well as execute his/her project work in line with stakeholders expectations. The automation group consists of 3 – 4 automation engineers supporting manufacturing, process development, and facilities/maintenance.
Reporting directly to the Sr. Automation Manager, the Automation Engineer II is responsible for supporting the day-to-day operations as well as implementation of new technology and modifications to existing systems aimed at cost reduction, efficiency improvements, system sustainability, and quality/safety enhancement.
The automation group has direct ownership of the site automation systems including both ABB DCS (MOD300 and 800xA) and DeltaV DCS, BMS (JCI and Siemens), PLC (Allen Bradley and Siemens), and OSI-Pi data historian. This position should have working knowledge of these core systems.
This position will participate in a rotating 24/7 on-call schedule for the automation group.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Interface and build collaborative partnerships with key site functions including Manufacturing, Technical Operations, Engineering, and Quality to deliver site goals and objectives
- Actively manage contractor activities to ensure work quality and safe practices to facilitation of contractor training
- Provide training or presentations on automation systems and tasks to all site personnel
- Provide hands-on detailed diagnostics/troubleshooting support for manufacturing, development, and utilities automated process control and monitoring systems
- Support the design and implementation of sound engineering solutions for mitigating existing operational issues, drive continuous improvement, and introduce new technology in accordance with FDBU standards and cGMP regulatory requirements while following GAMP guidelines
- Support capital projects with an automation element from conception, design and initial specifications through completion and turnover.
- Develop/Revise User Requirement Specifications, Functional Specifications, Design Specifications, and Guidelines for new and existing control systems
- Develop and execute validation protocols in compliance with IQ/OQ/PQ requirements and the Site Master Validation Plan strategy
- Perform data back-ups of the DCS and BMS systems
- Develop, revise and abide by standard operating procedures and automation engineering documents.
- Lead, support, and perform investigations relating to complex manufacturing deviations and anomalies associated with automation systems and control system software in order to properly identify root cause and implement appropriate corrective and preventative actions to prevent reoccurrence
- Other duties as assigned
- Demonstrated leadership, interpersonal, technical aptitude, and problem solving skills.
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple priorities and projects
- Must be results driven and goal oriented with the ability to manage risks
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate within cross-functional teams and to upper management
- Ability to organize and present technical overviews to engineering staff, cross functional departments, and upper management
- Maintains effective relationships across functional units gaining their trust and respect
- Puts accomplishing the goals of the group ahead of accomplishing individual goals
- Openly shares knowledge/information needed to accomplish a task or solve a problem
- Exhibits professionalism and sets an example for others to follow
- Self-starter and detail oriented
- Ability to discuss normally encountered technical issues, both verbally and written, in a manner that is understood by non-technical personnel
- Proficient computer skills with experience using MS Office software
- Excellent documentation skills.
- Strong technical aptitude for problem solving and data driven decision making
- Good working knowledge of electrical systems, instrumentation and process controls
- Basic knowledge of a variety of automation software applications, process control, SFC, Ladder Logic, and structured text programming languages
- Basic knowledge of Oracle and SQL Server databases
- Basic knowledge of IQ/OQ/PQ requirements in a regulated industry
- Basic knowledge of FDA regulation 21 CFR Part 11
- Excellent organizational, verbal and written communication skills with the ability to effectively communicate within cross-functional teams and to management
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to work effectively and efficiently in a team-based environment with employees at all levels
- Self-starter and detail oriented
- Ability to manage commitments for self and the team while displaying an eagerness to learn and continuously improve
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to clearly articulate sound reasoning and data
- Ability to discuss normally encountered technical issues, both verbally and written, in a manner that is understood by non-automation personnel
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering (Mechanical, Chemical, Electrical, Biochemical, Computer)
- 3+ years relevant experience in process automation, preferably in cGMP regulated industry
FDBU works with technical data, technology and materials that are subject to U.S. export laws and regulations. This position will require access to technical data, technology and source code that is controlled under U.S. export laws and regulations, including but not limited to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations at 22 C.F.R. Parts 120 – 130 and Export Administration Regulations in 15 C.F.R. Part 730 – 774, as may be amended. To conform to these laws and regulations, applicants must be U.S. citizens, lawful permanent residents of the U.S., protected individuals as defined by 8 USC 1324(b)(a)(3) (i.e., asylees and refugees) or otherwise eligible for an export authorization from the U.S. Department of State or U.S. Department of Commerce. Offers of employment will be contingent on the Company’s ability to secure an export authorization. FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.
FDBU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identify or any other protected class.